About Me

I am 29 and have a 21 month old at the time of writing this profile. I'm going to try to get fitter and I'm doing the couch to 5k programme with an iPhone app called GetRunning.

Monday 26 July 2010

Week 4 Run 1

I am SO going to ache tomorrow.

That was really tough.  It's a nice cool(ish) day with a breeze so that wasn't the problem.  I really did struggle.  I'll break it down.
  • 5 min warm up - calves already starting to ache and feel tight on my usual uphill warm up
  • 3 min run - kept experimenting with different running forms so it wasn't great.  Tried to go heel to toe and 'spring' forward but it's not natural for me so that didn't work!  Felt easier on the legs, but too much concentration to keep it up.  Out of breath by the end.
  • 1 1/2 min walk - managed to recover quite quickly which I was pleased about.  Was ok by halfway through the walk
  • 5 min run - started off not too bad, by 2 mins I was already suffering with breathing and my legs were giving up but I managed to finish this run.  I did worry halfway through a bit, every time I took a breath I got a short pressure headache.  Only on my in breaths.  Not sure what that was about, not enough oxygen?
  • 2 1/2 min walk - nice recovery despite my difficult run.  Had to stop a little to stretch, my calves were hurting.
  • 3 min run - I couldn't complete this.  I did about 1 minute but my legs wouldn't let me do it.  I stopped, stretched, then walked until the next run. Was disappointed.
  • 5 min run - was determined to do this!  Managed to run slowly for the first half of the run and somehow sped up a but for the second half but I did start to get the pressure head again.  Maybe dehydration?  I tried to think about what to do for dinner, that took my mind of the run for 30 seconds!  Was VERY happy to stop running when I was told to.  
All in all, I am pleased I managed the 5 minute runs though they were uncomfortable for me.  Disappointed I had to interrupt the programme for the first time so far.
Happy to try again on Wednesday.

I may have to repeat week 3 but I don't want to go backwards so will try not to.

So,

that's that!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment