About Me

I am 29 and have a 21 month old at the time of writing this profile. I'm going to try to get fitter and I'm doing the couch to 5k programme with an iPhone app called GetRunning.

Thursday 5 August 2010

Week 5 DONE!!

How happy am I? Answer: VERY!

Week 5 run 3 came around and although there was a hitch and I wasn't able to run in the morning, I managed to get out in the evening.

I still cannot believe I actually did it!

Lots of things to mention. 

Speed: I didn't run very fast.  There was a HUGE black sky overhead which looked very thunderous, and I didn't want to be too far from home when the heavens opened!  They didn't in the end, as it happens.

Legs: My legs felt achy on about the 5th minute!  Not too bad but just that I could feel them working.  I told myself I had just 3 minutes to reach 8 which I knew I could do!  The hardest part of all was just after I turned around to come back.  My route isn't circular and that effected my momentum for a time.  Took about 3 minutes to adapt.

Breathing: As I kept the pace slow my breathing was good.  :)  Again, the first 5-8 minutes were the hardest then my body just seemed to adapt.  I kept breathing through my mouth and could feel it fuelling my muscles on every breath (imagination?) which really really helped and lifted me.

Feeling:  It felt great!  Wasn't too hard and actually completely amazed me that I found it easier than the 8 minute runs of week 5 run 2 - the intervals make it harder possibly?

I actually almost cried!  Silly I know, but I was really so happy that I did it, my eyes did get a bit watery it is such an achievement for me.  At school I was always the one using the cross country as an excuse for a good gossip while walking at the back!

I'm sure there are things I haven't covered that I had wanted too but that's most of it.  Oh and I don't ache today yippee!  Need to work on building speed as soon as this C25K is over I really want to get my 5K time under 30 minutes, we'll see!  I have until my race in early October.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I've just done mine too, and it feels amazing! I too shed a little tear, it's such an achievement. Just think how hard running for 1 minute felt a few weeks ago! Wow, we're runners now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete